Follow by Email

Friday, February 17, 2012

Mild annoyance





I hate it when the media dubs something "Goth" just to get an attention-grabbing headline. On Jezebel and Gawker they posted this story titled "Did a Mom’s Goth Website Get Her Booted From the Girl Scouts?" about a lady in Wisconsin (my state) who removed from her position as a Girl Scout troop leader because of a website she runs. The website in question is Wisconsin Sickness, and it seems to be largely about heavy metal, zombies, alt pin-up girls, and serial killers. (Ed Gein specifically. What a fantastic state I live in.) Which may be things that some Goths like, but it has no relation to the subculture. I visited the site and looked around a bit and I have to say that it is extremely Not Goth. Calling it a "Serial Killer" or "Horror" website would have been much more accurate. As for the story itself, I can't really decide if it was appropriate that this woman was removed from her position. According to the Girl Scouts, she had been promoting the website, which they say goes against Girl Scout Values, in official Girl Scout emails. I'll have to learn a bit more about both sides of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment